Portuguese Crispy Pork Chop Sandwich
A Hong Kong Inspired Recipe
Filling, Quick and Easy Dinner Idea
This Portuguese crispy pork chop sandwich recipe was inspired by a popular Portuguese dish served in Hong Kong. It is one of my mom's favorites.
The original recipe I wrote required some time to marinade the meat. But with the busy schedule of the modern lifestyle nowadays, this simplified version allows you to get the dinner on the table under 30 minutes.
Prep Time: 10 Minutes Cook Time: 20 Minutes Serving: 4
Traditionally, this dish serves with Portuguese roll which is my mom's another favorite. It's the crunch that she loves. To make it healthier, I use wheat rolls. Feel free to use any kind of hard roll per your preference.
With the crispy pork chops, there is a lot of crunch, crunch, crunch.
This easy dinner is very filling. Best is to pair it with a vegetable salad.
4 thinly sliced boneless pork chops
4 Portuguese rolls
1 Egg (beaten)
1 Cup Panko bread crumb
½ teaspoon Garlic Salt
1 pinch of salt
1 pinch black pepper
¼ cup flour
¼ cup water (divided)
¼ cup canola oil
- If you want to toast the bread and/or keep the pork chops warm, preheat oven at 250F
- Takes about 5-8 minutes to warm up the bread
- For warming and toasting the bread and meat, line 2 baking sheets with aluminum foil.
- One for the bread and the other for the pork chops for easy clean up later
- Line up 3 plates as below:
1st plate: flour
2nd plate: 1 eggs, 2 tablespoon water, 1 pinch of each salt and pepper(beaten)
3rd plate: bread crumb and garlic salt (mixed well)
- Lay a pork chop on the cutting board, add about 1 teaspoon of water on top
- Cover with a piece of plastic wrap
- Use meat tenderizer or the bottom of a heavy skillet to pound the pork chop to 1/8 inch thick
- Repeat the last 3 steps for thinning the rest of the pork chops
- Dredge each pork chops (by following this order) in flour, egg wash and bread crumb mixture
- Make sure covering both sides well
- Preheat a big skillet at medium heat with 2 tablespoons of canola oil
(Side note: if you have 2 big skillets, please feel free to cook 4 pork chops at the same time. This helps if you need to double the quantity of this crispy pork chop sandwich recipe for a bigger crowd)
- Add 2 pork chops into the skillet
- Cook each side about 3-5 minutes or until golden brown
- Transfer the pork chops to the baking sheet and keep them warm in the oven
- Repeat the last 4 steps for the rest of the pork chops
- Slice open the rolls open like a book and put a piece of pork chops in between to make a sandwich and serve
You can definitely replace the meat with fish filet. It even cooks faster and, of course, healthier.
Can be doubled
You May Also Be Interested In:
Return from Portuguese Crispy Pork Chop Sandwich recipe page to Pork Recipes page
Return to Easy Dinner Ideas Homepage