Chorizo Tomato Sauce Spaghetti Squash
Tasty, But Filled With Fiber
You May Be Addicted
This Chorizo Tomato Sauce Spaghetti Squash became one of my addictions other than coffee. Man...for 2 weeks on a roll, I had this dish every day for lunch and I still haven't got tired of it yet.
Prep Time: 20 Minutes Active Cook Time: 15 Minutes
Inactive Cook Time: 60-80 Minutes Serving: 4
I got to tell you this....throughout my first 29 years of life, I had never come across or seen a spaghetti squash. I learned about it until I got married and moved to the States in 2002.
My first spaghetti squash experience was somebody cooked it for me and showed me the inside and out of this fantastic fruit.
When I first saw the strands coming out of the squash, I was so amazed. It was like a baby opens his/her eyes to see the world the very first time. But when I first tasted it, I told myself, "I will never try this anymore." There was not much of the seasonings added into it. It was blah. So, that was my first experience and impression of spaghetti squash.
It took me a long, long time to think about giving it a try again. And I mean a very long time. And this time....huh....I was smart enough to put enough flavor in it. Since then, I was so addicted to spaghetti squash. I have been making it and separate into portions to pack for my bring-to-work lunch. I feel so happy about that I could bring something so healthy and different to work and enjoy during the day. I hope you would feel the same with this recipe, too.
How To Cook A Spaghetti Squash In The Oven
3.5-4 Lbs Spaghetti squash. Transfer to a casserole dish or roasting pan. Preheat oven at 375F
Use a fork to poke several times on the spaghetti squash to let the steam out
It could be difficult to poke the squash. As long as the tips of a fork slightly get under the skin is good enough
Bake it in the oven for an hour until a pairing knife can cut into the squash without any resistance
If not, bake it for another 10 minutes again until the pairing knife can go through the squash easily. Repeat this step until the squash is cooked through
Let it sit in room temperature for 10 minutes and cut it into halves
Spoon out and discard the seeds
It is still hot to touch. I use oven glove to help in the process and worked out great.
Use a fork to rake the flesh from the skin
Transfer spaghetti squash flesh into a bowl
Chorizo Tomato Sauce Spaghetti Squash Recipe
1 (3.5-4 lbs) Spaghetti Squash
1 (28 oz) Diced Tomato with Juice
8 oz Pre-Cooked Chorizo Sausage (diced; if you can find raw Chorizo and brown it in the pan by breaking up the meat with a spatula would be even better)
1 Clove Minced Garlic
1 tbsp Tomato Paste (I use the one from the tube)
1 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 pinch Crushed Red Pepper
Salt and pepper to taste
Amore Sun-Dried Tomato Paste
Add Chorizo sausage into the oil mixture and brown for about 5 minutes, stir regularly
Simmer the mixture of Chorizo sausage, tomato paste and tomato sauce for 30 minutes
Stir in spaghetti squash into Chorizo Tomato Sauce
Voilà! A very tasty, filling and make-you-feel-great dinner is ready.....
- Preheat oven at 375F
- Use a fork to poke several times on the spaghetti squash to let the steam out (it could be difficult to poke the squash. As long as the tips of a fork slightly get under the skin is good enough)
- Transfer to a casserole dish or roasting pan (for your safety, stay away from regular baking sheet. After sitting in the oven for a while, the squash still has the tendency to roll around. To avoid it to roll it off and burn yourself, please use a roasting pan)
- Bake it in the oven for an hour until a pairing knife can cut into the squash without any resistance
- If not, bake it for another 10 minutes again until the pairing knife can go through the squash easily. Repeat this step until the squash is cooked through
- Let it sit in room temperature for 10 minutes and cut it into halves and spoon out and discard the seeds (it is still hot to touch. I use oven glove to help in the process and worked out great.)
- Then, use a fork to rake the flesh from the skin and transfer to a bowl
- While spaghetti squash is about half way through its cooking time in the oven, preheat a Dutch oven at high heat with 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil and crushed red pepper
- Add Chorizo sausage into the oil mixture and brown for about 5 minutes, stir regularly
- Push sausage to the side and leave the middle of Dutch oven empty and add in tomato paste; stir to coat
- Add garlic and diced tomato with juice and let it simmer at low heat for about 30 minutes
- Stir in spaghetti squash and toss to coat
- Salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately
Recipe Ingredients and Tools
Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven
You May Also Be Interested In:
Return from Chorizo Tomato Sauce Spaghetti Squash Recipe page to Pork Recipes page
Return to Easy Dinner Ideas Homepage