Cut and Drop
To Slow Cooker
On The Switch
Beef and Vegetable Stew
This beef and vegetable stew was my life saver. I didn't exaggerate it. I always cook my next week lunch during the weekend.
Prep Time: 15 Minutes Inactive Cook Time: 4 Hours on High
(or 8 Hours on Low) Serving: 6-8
Like, Share & Comment
If you like any recipes on this website, please like, share and comment. This will help other people like you to find them here. Thank you very much for your support!
In my opinion, bringing my lunch is a BIG money and time saver. Instead of lining up to place your order, you can do so many different things during your lunch, such as walking and doing errands.
Besides, it saves at least $25 a week which you can put towards your grocery. If you don't mind eating overnight food and you can heat up your lunch in the microwave at work, I highly recommend you to bring your lunch.
Anyway, how did the slow cooker save me? My range was fried in a power outage. While I was waiting for the delivery of my new "baby", the slow cooker helped me to complete the task.
3.5-4 pounds Bottom Round Roast (trim fat if necessary; cut into 1" size)
2 pounds Baby Carrots
2 pounds Russet Potatoes (peeled and cut into bite size)
6 stalks Celery (cut into big chunks)
1 box (32 ounces) Beef Stock
1 Cup Frozen Green Peas
1/3 cup Corn Starch
1/3 cup Water
1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
Salt (hold until before serving)
- Rub grounded black pepper evenly on the beef
- Put the ingredients into the slow cooker in this order: potatoes, celery, beef, carrots and beef stock
- Cook 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low
- 30 minutes before serving:
a) cook the rice or pasta if you decide to serve it together with this beef and vegetable stew (optional)
b) Turn slow cooker to high heat if your setting is low
- 15 minutes before serving, take out about 2-3 cups of liquid from the slow cooker and transfer to a medium sauce pan and bring it to a running boil
(You may need to take out the vegetables and beef with a slotted spoon before you can get to the liquid. Once the liquid is out, put the vegetables and beef back into the slow cooker)
- In a mixing bowl, combine corn starch and water (make sure to mix it very well)
- Pour the slurry into the boiling sauce and stir until thick
- Transfer the gravy back into the slow cooker and add green peas
- Stir to combine with the stew
- Let it sit for 5 minutes
- Adjust seasoning and serve
Add a few tablespoons of curry powder to make it an Asian recipe. The best of all, it would be another easy dinner idea for next time.
You May Also Be Interested In:
Slow Cooker Recipes
Return from Beef and Vegetable Stew Recipe page to Soup Recipes page
Return to Easy Dinner Ideas Homepage