Chocolate Cake Roll
It's A Chocolate Roll
It's A Pumpkin Roll
It's A (No-Towel) Chocolate Pumpkin Roll
This chocolate cake roll recipe was inspired by my other famous pumpkin roll recipe. But the main reason why I made a chocolate version is that I realized not all people like everything-pumpkin.
"This roll cake is very moist and so delicious. I make the cream cheese filling.I've made it 3 times in 4 months and I'm making it for Christmas too." - From a Pinterest Follower
Total Time: 35-37 Minutes
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Inactive Cook Time: 15-17 Minutes
I made pumpkin roll every year because my extended family loves it. The deal breaker is that they know I don't use a stinking towel to wrap my cake roll. So, they only eat mine.
However, on the same dining table, there are always a few people just do not want to get close to anything with pumpkin spice or something similar. So, one year, I decided to give it a try to make a chocolate roll. And you know what? Those always like to stay away had a piece of this chocolate cake roll and loved it.
I do love the idea of using the pumpkin purée to blend into this dessert. It made you feel happy knowing that there is some sort of fiber in your cake. Whether you like pumpkin roll or not, I bet you will love this one.
I use cream filling for this chocolate cake roll.
Of course, you can use cream cheese filling. If you do, click here to follow the instructions for preparing it. On that same page, you will also learn a lot of tips how to roll a cake roll.
Recipe Ingredients and Tools
Chocolate Cake Roll Recipe and Directions
1 can (14oz / 397g) Pumpkin Purée
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 cup (8oz / 202g) Sugar
2 tbsp Baking Cocoa Powder (I recommend milk chocolate instead of dark chocolate.)
1 tsp Expresso Powder
3/4 cup (6oz / 151g) All Purpose Flour
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 tsp Salt
1/2 cup (4oz / 101g) Powdered Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 cup (8oz / 202g) Heavy Whipping Cream
Cream Cheese Filling
1 Bar 8-ounce (227g) Cream Cheese (at room temperature)
1 cup (8oz / 202g) Sifted Powdered Sugar
6 tablespoons (3oz / 85g) Butter at room temperature
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
Powdered Sugar (for dusting; optional)
- Preheat oven at 375F (191C).
- In 2 mixing bowls, combine wet and dry ingredients separately.
- Fold in dry ingredient mixture into the wet one.
- Line a 17"x12" (43 x 30cm) baking sheet with aluminum foil and lightly coat with no-stick cooking spray.
- Line a layer of wax paper lengthwise; 2 piece of paper crosswise (overlapping each other in the middle) and another layer of lengthwise again.
- Coat no-stick cooking spray one more time on top of the wax paper.
- Lightly dust with all purpose flour.
- Pour batter on wax paper lined baking sheet.
- Use baking knife to spread out batter evenly.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes or until top of the cake springs back when touched.
- Let cool at room temperature for about an hour or completely cool.
- While waiting, whisk filling in a mixing bowl until peaks form and chill in fridge.
- To assemble the roll, make sure you have a big working surface for you to move around. That means there should be enough room around your baking sheet because both your arms and hands will move very quickly in order to roll this cake up.
- Spread filling evenly on cake.
- Roll cake lengthwise starting from the end closest to you.
- Chill chocolate pumpkin roll in fridge for 4 hours before serving.
Chocolate Cake Roll Steps with Photos
In a mixing bowl, add all dry ingredients.
Whisk to combine.
In another mixing bowl, combine all wet ingredients.
Add dry ingredient mixture into the wet one.
Stir until all ingredients are combined well together.
Line a half-sheet baking sheet with wax paper dusted with flour.
Pour in batter and spread it out evenly.
Bake for 15-17 minutes at 375F (191C) oven.
While waiting, combine whipping cream, powdered sugar and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl.
Beat cream mixture until stiff peaks form and chill in the fridge.
Spread cream filling evenly on top of the cake and roll cake lengthwise from your end towards the other.
Chill cake roll in the fridge for at least 4 hours.
Cut it into slices and ENJOY!
You May Also Be Interested In:
Home > Dessert Recipes > Chocolate Cake Roll | No-Towel Chocolate Pumpkin Roll