English Muffin Breakfast Casserole
Cheap Easy Meal For
Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner
This English muffin breakfast casserole was a twist of a recipe that my co-worker shared with me. The other one used croutons which I am not very big on it. After several times of baking it, I ended up changing almost everything in the original recipe.
Total Time: 60-65 Minutes
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Inactive Cook Time: 45-50 Minutes
Since I made it so many times, I want to share some experiences with you in case you want to make some twists on this recipe.
To make this recipe crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, the English muffin plays a very significant role here.
I did try using whole grain and multi-grain muffin to make a healthier version. But the texture never came out as good as using the regular English muffin. It felt like the casserole was not fully cooked even though it was.
Go easy on the salt because the sausage has plenty of salt already.
Although this recipe can serve a big crowd, just prepare that it may not be enough. Why? Because it is so delicious that people cannot get over it. They will definitely come back for more. I learned this from my experience bringing this English muffin breakfast casserole to church. Be proud of yourself and ENJOY!
English Muffin Breakfast Casserole Recipe and Instructions
2 Packs (7oz each) Pre-cooked Sausage Links (cut into bite size)
6 Regular English Muffins (cut into bite size)
2 Cups Shredded White and Yellow Cheese Mix
12 Eggs (beaten)
2 Cups Milk
1 tablespoon Dried Parsley Flakes
1 pinch of Salt
½ teaspoon Black Pepper
Non-stick Cooking Spray
- Coat a 13” x 9” baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Lightly toast the English muffins before cutting them into 1" cubes (This step helps to take the extra moisture out of the muffin. Do NOT brown it. It will be browned during the baking process in the oven.)
- Single layer these ingredients in the baking pan by following this order: English muffin, sausage, cheese.
- In a big mixing bowl, whisk eggs, milk dried parsley, salt and pepper together.
- Pour the egg mixture into the casserole dish.
- Cover the pan with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and chill in the fridge overnight (This allows the muffin to soak up the egg mixture).
- Take the casserole out of the fridge and sit at room temperature for 30-60 minutes before baking.
- Bake the casserole in the oven at 350F in the middle rack for 45-50 minutes until knife inserted into the center and come out clean.
- Let it rest for 5 minutes and enjoy!
English Muffin Breakfast Casserole Steps with Photos
4 ingredients: pre-cooked sausage links, English muffins, pre-shedded cheddar cheese and eggs.
Toast English muffins to get the extra moisture out.
Cut toasted English muffins into cubes/bite size when they are cool to touch.
Single layer muffin pieces at the bottom of a casserole dish.
Cut pre-cooked sausage links into cubes/bite size.
Evenly spread sausage on top of muffin pieces.
Spread pre-shredded cheddar cheese evenly on top of muffin and sausage pieces.
Add eggs, milk, dry Parsley flakes, salt and pepper in a big mixing bowl.
Whisk to combine egg mixture.
Slowly pour in egg batter into the casserole dish. Chill overnight to let muffins to absorb the egg mixture.
Sit at room temperature 30-60 minutes. Bake in 350F oven uncovered for 45-50 minutes.
It is done when knife inserted into the center and come out clean. Rest for 5 minutes and ENJOY!
Recipe Ingredients and Tools
You May Also Be Interested In:
Home > Breakfast Recipes > English Muffin Breakfast Casserole
New! CommentsBe the first of your friends to comment what you just read