Make Ahead Breakfast Burritos
To Go Or Everybody
Makes Their Own
Breakfast burritos...when it comes to bring something to church for coffee time, I find that something savory and warm is always welcomed. And everything will be mopped in a few minutes. Best of all, even though people get 2nd or more serving, they still don't have enough. Next thing you know, they will come and ask you for the recipe.
Oh, wait....there's more. Since you brought something so cool, they remember your food all the time. When you do coffee time again, they definitely look forward to whatever you bring in. Next thing you know, you become a "celebrity" in the community.
I am a very low key person. Having too much attention makes me uneasy. But I do love people enjoy my food. Even conversation comes much easier because of the food.
Prep Time: 15 Minutes Cook Time: 15 Minutes Serving: 5-20+
In fact, this recipe was created from my pantry. I got the last minute notice from a fellow church goer that they needed some urgent help for the coffee time at church the next day. Instead of making another special trip to the grocery store, as usual, I looked for something that is in my fridge or pantry already.
In this recipe, I will show you how to make ahead, assemble the breakfast burritos to go or add a few more easy ingredients to make a great meal and let everybody makes their own.
Have fun cooking and enjoy the praise from everybody.
Serve the breakfast burritos like this and let everybody assembles their own. Or you can add some side dishes to spice up the recipe.
Serve Immediately Or Later
When I made this breakfast recipe the first time, I brought it to church to serve during coffee time. So, I made ahead the day before.
Also, due to the crowd, I can't go on bold flavor, such as green chili or jalapeño pepper. I even needed to go easy on salt, too.
So, here is the trick. If you plan to serve it immediately, cook everything as the recipe below.
If you plan on serving it later and need to heat it up before serving, everything needs to be undercooked a little bit. In other words, the scrambled eggs may be a little bit wet. The sausage will not be brown, but just warm up a little bit and got some of the grease out.
Why? When you warm up the breakfast burritos later, the cooking process will continue.
How To Wrap The Breakfast Burritos To Go With Aluminum Foil?
Lay a piece of aluminum foil which is slightly bigger than the tortilla on a flat surface
Line eggs, sausage and cheese in the middle across of the tortilla. Make sure the way how you line this stuffing is facing a corner of the foil where you will start folding later
Put about 1 tablespoon scrambled eggs, 1 teaspoon sausage and 1 tablespoon cheese
Roll up the tortilla as tight as you can to make burrito
Fold a corner of the foil over the burrito
Fold both sides in and roll towards the other end of the foil
Depending on your crowd, cut burritos into halves or 3 equal parts
For a bigger crowd, you may even need to cut up into more portions. If your crowd is 4-6 people, you are ok.
- Lay a piece of aluminum foil which is slightly bigger than the tortilla on a flat surface
- Line eggs, sausage and cheese in the middle across of the tortilla. Make sure the way how you line this stuffing is facing a corner of the foil where you will start folding later(I put about 1 tablespoon scrambled eggs, 1 teaspoon sausage and 1 tablespoon cheese)
- Roll up the tortilla as tight as you can to make burrito
- Fold a corner of the foil over the burrito
- Fold both sides in and roll towards the other corner of the foil
- Depending on your crowd, cut burritos into halves or 3 equal parts (Since I serve about 30+ people, I cut a burrito into 3 equal portions. For a bigger crowd, you may even need to cut up into more portions. If your crowd is 4-6 people, you are ok.)
- Transfer to tray or baking sheet
- Continue to assemble the burritos with the rest of the ingredients
- Let the burritos completely cool down before transferring to fridge
How To Warm It Up?
- Take the tray of breakfast burritos out of fridge and sit on counter for an hour in room temperature
- Preheat oven at 400F
- Cover the entire tray of burritos with foil and warm up in the oven for 10 mins.
- Lower temperature to 250F and warm another 10-15 mins until burritos are warm to touch and serve immediately
Other Side Dishes For Breakfast Burritos If Served Immediately
There are several sides you can serve along if you let the guests or your family to assemble the breakfast burritos themselves. Here are some suggestions for you:
- 1 can green chili
- 1 Diced bell pepper
- 1 diced avocado
- 2 diced Roma tomatoes
10 (6" diameter) Flour Tortillas
12 Eggs (beaten)
1 pound Pre-Cooked Sausage Links (thinly sliced or diced)
2 cups Shredded Mexican Cheese
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper (divided)
1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Brown sausages in a big skillet at medium high heat, stirring regularly, about 3-5 minutes
- Transfer to a bowl and put it aside
- Using the same skillet with Extra Virgin Olive Oil at high heat
- Add eggs and constantly stirring to make scrambled eggs, about 5-8 minutes and transfer to plate
- Use a wet paper towel and wrap the stack of tortillas and put it on a microwave safe plate
- Heat it up in the microwave for a minute to make them pliable
- Serve cheese along everything and let everybody to assemble their burritos
My Amazon Picks
Tortilla Warmer (Love this thing to keep my tortilla warm throughout the meal)
Serve This With:
You May Also Be Interested In:
Quick and Easy Dinner Recipes
Return from Breakfast Burritos Recipe page to Breakfast Recipes page
Return to Easy Dinner Ideas Homepage