Cabbage And Carrot Chow Mein
Better Than Take-Out
Easy Cooking Chinese At Home
Cabbage and Carrot Chow Mein, in fact, uses spaghetti which gives similar texture of typical Chinese noodles in this traditional Chinese recipe.
Total Time: 35 Minutes
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Active Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Sometimes, we forget that there are simple things in life that we don't appreciate that much, but look for something complicated. I know I do.
This is the recipe that reflects what I just said entirely.
I can't remember what I used carrot matchsticks and cabbage for. (Isn't that horrible that your memory sometimes slipped out on you? Got to be experimenting some new recipes. What else could I do with them, right?). Anyway, all I remember was...I saw some leftover in the fridge and I want to use them up asap. As you know, throwing food away is the last thing I want to see.
Next, I realized that I was making this delicious cabbage and carrot chow mein just like from any Chinese take-out joint that it was too good I didn't get enough of it.
This ebook will teach you to cook authentic Chinese food in a healthy way. It will also show you how to get the beautiful colors, texture and taste you get from your favorite Chinese restaurants.
Cabbage And Carrot Chow Mein Recipe
1 lb (454g) Spaghetti
1 bag (10 oz / 283g) Carrot matchsticks
1 (1 lb / 454g max.) Small Green Cabbage (thinly sliced)
2 Scallion (chopped)
1 tsp Salt
2 tbsp Canola Oil (divided)
A pot of water
1/4 cup (2oz / 59g) Superior Light Soy Sauce
3 tbsp Superior Dark Soy Sauce
2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tsp Sesame Oil
Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a pot of water to a boil, add 1 tsp Salt, 1 tbsp Canola Oil and spaghetti
- Quick stir and let it under cook about 2 mins from al dente
- In another medium sauce pan, bring another 4 cups (33oz / 946g) of water to a boil
- Cut cabbage into quarters and tilt knife to cut out cores and discard
- Put pasta strainer into the kitchen sink
- Thinly slice cabbages against the layers of the leaves and transfer to the strainer together with carrot matchsticks
- Drizzles about 1 tbsp Canola Oil on top of the vegetables
- About 2 mins before draining spaghetti, slowly drizzle that saucepan of hot water on top of the strainer of vegetables (this will keep the vegetables crisp tender and cut down extra cooking time later when they mix with the noodles)
- Transfer vegetables into a bowl and set aside, this will allow the strainer to be ready for the spaghetti
- Drain pasta
- Preheat the same pot at high heat with extra virgin olive oil
- Add vegetables and quick toss
- Add pasta and all seasonings, such as soy sauces, salt and pepper to taste
- Toss to coat and turn off heat
- Add sesame oil and garnish with scallions and serve immediately
Cabbage And Carrot Chow Mein Steps with Photos
Cut cabbage into quarters
Tilt knife to cut out cores and discard
Thinly slice cabbages
Transfer cabbage to pasta strainer
Top with carrots as well. Drizzle oil and boiling water on top of the vegetables
Use same pasta pot and toss in vegetables
Then add pasta, seasonings and garnish with scallions
Mmmmm....doesn't it look like from the take-out?
Recipe Ingredients and Tools
Serve This With:
You May Also Be Interested In:
Home > Asian Recipes > Cabbage And Carrot Chow Mein