Cajun Shrimp Sausage Recipe with Mashed Broccoli
A Twisted Low-Carb Version of Classic Shrimp and Grit. YUM!
Cajun shrimp sausage recipe with mashed broccoli is super easy and flavorful. It is a guilt-free comfort food. How can you pass something make you feel wonderful and guilt-free, right?
Total Time: 3 Hours 27 Minutes - 3 Hours 36 Minutes
Prep Time: 15-20 Minutes
Active Cook Time: 12-16 Minutes
Inactive Cook Time: 3 Hours
I originally planned to make this as 2 separate dishes and recipes. But I was stuck of how to pair the mashed broccoli. Then, the shrimp sausage recipe alone seems not enough to serve for a family of 4. I somehow put them together like throwing a die and it turned out A.W.E.S.O.M.E.
Feel free to replace mashed broccoli with mashed cauliflower. If you are a carb eater, pair it with grits. That would be amazing, too.
If you are not a fan of seafood, replace shrimp with chicken breast. Cut the meat in small bite size which would be easier to cook through and eat. Just be aware that it will take longer to get the chicken thoroughly cooked through.
If you purchase shrimp which are already shelled for you, it will save you a lot of time from preparing it. I always go by whatever is on sale.
Both sausage and shrimp takes very little time to cook. It's perfect for cooking on the grill during summer. Then, you won't heat up the house.
When sausage going back into the skillet with the shrimp, it could be a bit dry. If so, add 1/4 cup of water, the juice will work perfectly with the mashed vegetables.
One of the ways to plate this dish without mixing everything together.
Recipe Ingredients and Tools
Shrimp Sausage Recipe and Instructions
Mashed Broccoli Recipe
2 lbs Frozen Broccoli Florets
1 can (14oz) Chicken Broth
2 cups Shredded Yellow Cheddar Cheese
1 tsp Garlic Powder
Salt and pepper to taste
No-stick Cooking Spray
- Coat cooking spray on a slow cooker insert.
- Add frozen broccoli and chicken broth in; cook on high heat for 3 hours or 6 hours on low heat.
- Use a potato masher to mash broccoli into desired texture and consistency.
- Stir in cheese, garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste.
Cajun Shrimp Sausage Recipe
1lb 16-20 count Frozen Shrimp (thawed, shelled and deveined)
1 lb Cooked Kielbasa sausage (sliced to 1/2” pieces)
1 tsp Cajun Seasoning
1/4 cup Water (optional; only add it if it is too dry)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- About 45-60 minutes before the broccoli is ready, start to prepare the Cajun shrimp and sausage.
- Preheat a big skillet at high heat and add 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil and single layer kielbasa to cook about 2-3 minutes each side.
- Transfer kielbasa to a bowl and put it aside.
- Add more extra virgin olive oil (about 1-2 tbsp) or butter into the same skillet and single layer shrimp (depending on the size of the shrimps) and cook until opaque about 8-10 minutes.
- Add sausage back into skillet and stir in Cajun seasoning.
- To plate, add a ladle of mashed broccoli on a serving plate, top it with Cajun shrimp and sausage and serve immediately. ENJOY!
Shrimp Sausage Recipe Steps with Photos
Mashed Broccoli Steps
3 simple ingredients to make mashed broccoli first.
Add frozen broccoli into a slow cooker.
Add chicken broth.
Cover slow cooker and walk away; cook on high heat for 3 hours.
Broccoli should be super tender that a fork pokes it and the vegetable falls apart.
Use a potato masher to mash broccoli to desired consistency.
Stir in shredded cheese.
Salt and pepper to taste.
Mashed broccoli can be served as is.
Cajun Shrimp Sausage Steps
About 45-60 minutes before mashed broccoli is done, get shrimp and sausage ready.
Cut kielbasa sausage into 1/2" slices.
Single layer kielbasa sausage on skillet to brown.
Cook each side about 2-3 minutes.
Transfer sausage to a bowl and put it aside.
Single layer shrimp on the same skillet.
Cook until opaque or pink (about 8-10 minutes).
Stir in sausage.
Stir in Cajun seasoning.
Add 1/4 cup of water if it's too dry.
Add shrimp and sausage on top of mashed broccoli and ENJOY!
You May Also Be Interested In:
Home > Seafood Recipes > Shrimp Sausage Recipe | Cajun Shrimp Sausage with Mashed Broccoli