Cake Mix Dessert
Carrot and Red Velvet Cake Sandwich Cookies
It's Like Eating Cakes with Your Hands!!!
This cake mix dessert recipe was inspired by two classic cake recipes and whoopie pie.
Total Time: 40-55 Minutes
Prep Time: 10-15 Minutes
Inactive Cook Time: 30-40 Minutes
Serving: 18-20 Cookie Sandwiches
I have been thinking about this recipe for a while until one day someone bought a box of minis into church for coffee time. One bite was perfect for occasion like that. But I keep thinking, "Man, I wish I could have more." So, that was the birth of this cake mix dessert recipe.
Cookies can be made up to 3 days before serving. Filling can be made 2 days before serving and chill it in the fridge covered under plastic wrap. Assembling everything 4 hours the most before serving.
Recipe Ingredients and Tools
Cake Mix Dessert Recipe and Instructions
For Cookie Batter
1 Box Carrot Cake Mix
1 Box Red Velvet Cake Mix
4 Eggs (divided)
2/3 cup Canola Oil (divided)
1-8 ounce Cream Cheese in room temperature
1 cup sifted Powdered Sugar
6 tablespoons Butter in room temperature
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Have 2 separate mixing bowls, one is for carrot cake mix. Combine cake mix, 1/3 cup of oil, and 2 eggs together to make carrot cake cookie dough.
- In the 2nd mixing bowl, combine red velvet cake mix, 1/3 cup of oil, and 2 eggs together to make red velvet cake cookie dough.
- Use a small ice-cream scoop to take about 2 tsp of cookie dough and roll to a ball shape.
- Transfer dough to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet (I use a 12" x 17" size baking sheet) leave about 1.5" - 2" space around each cookie dough.
- Bake at 350°F for 10-12 minutes, transfer cookies to wire rack to cool at room temperature.
- May need to separate 2-3 batches for each batter.
- Combine filling ingredients in a mixing bowl and beat at medium speed with a hand mixer to mix everything together until smooth and well combined. Chill at least 4 hours or overnight.
- After cookies are completely cool down, add filling on top of the flat side of a cookie. Cover it with another cookie, flat side down on the filling. Repeat this step to make the rest of sandwich cookies. ENJOY!
Cake Mix Dessert Steps with Photos
In a mixing bowl, combine carrot cake mix, eggs and oil together.
Carrot cake cookie batter.
Transfer dough to cookie sheet and bake.
Transfer cookies to wire rack to cool down completely.
In another mixing bowl, combine red velvet cake mix, egg and oil together to make batter.
Transfer red velvet cookie dough to baking sheet and bake.
Also, transfer these cookies to wire rack to cool down completely.
Make cream cheese filling.
To assembling sandwich cookie, add cream cheese filling on the flat side of a cookie.
Top it with another cookie flat side down on the filling.
Repeat the last 2 steps to assemble the rest of the sandwich cookies.
A batch of cream cheese filling can make 18-20 cookie sandwiches.
Best served with chilled cream cheese filling.
You May Also Be Interested In:
Home > Dessert Recipes > Cake Mix Dessert | Carrot and Red Velvet Cake Sandwich Cookies