Ground Beef Egg White Fried Rice
A Recipe Originated In The Early 2000s
With A New Look
This Ground Beef Egg White Fried Rice was relatively new before my moving to the States from Hong Kong in 2002. In fact, there were times that I made a vegetarian version of this dish with the same Chinese look. More than 10 years later, I decided to change the look of it.
Prep Time: 5 Minutes Cook Time: 25 Minutes Serving: 4-6
Like, Share & Comment
If you like any recipes on this website, please like, share and comment. This will help other people like you to find them here. Thank you very much for your support!
So, what's the difference of this fried rice dish compared to the original one? This version has a much darker color by using the Chinese superior dark soy sauce. The soy sauce gives a very similar look of any take-out fried rice. Everything, including the cooking method, stays the same.
But what made me to change the look of this Ground Beef Egg White Fried Rice? The biggest reason is to meet the expectations of my extended family. They are so used to the typical American Chinese fried rice look. So, any Chinese dishes, they expect that there is some kind of color in it.
But you may like the authentic look to have white fried rice on egg white. If so, skip the dark soy sauce.
Of course, if you prefer to stick with regular eggs with york and all, feel free to do so, too.
Ground Beef Egg White Fried Rice Recipe
8-10oz 90% Lean Ground Beef
4 Cup Cooked Overnight Steamed White Rice (refer to Perfectly Steamed White Rice recipe)
2 cups Pasteurized Egg White
1/2 cup Canola Oil (divided)
1/2 cup Frozen Green Peas
1 clove Garlic (Minced)
1/4 tsp Ginger Powder
1/2 tsp Sesame Oil
1 tbsp Superior Dark Soy Sauce
2 Scallion (chopped; optional for garnish only)
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat a big deep skillet at high heat with 4 tbsp or 1/4 cup oil
- Add egg white and a pinch of salt
- Stir it gently to combine
- When egg white starts to get milky white, stir it aggressively until solidified, but still a bit wet
- Transfer egg white to a plate and put aside
- In the same skillet, add the rest of Canola oil (1/4 cup) and overnight white rice
- Turn down to medium low heat and cover
- Cook for 10 minutes until rice is all loosened up; stir twice in between
- Push rice to the side and leave room of the skillet in the middle empty for beef going in
- Turn heat to medium high heat
- Use spatula to cut meat into bite size and let it cook for about 5-8 minutes until cooked through, then combine rice together
- Stir in minced garlic, ginger powder and dark soy sauce
- Stir in green peas, then egg white
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Stir in sesame oil and garnish with scallion; serve immediately
My Amazon Picks
Gently stirring egg white, oil and salt mixture
Stir aggressively when egg white starts to solidify
Leave egg white slightly wet and transfer to a plate; put aside
Cook overnight white rice until warm through and push to the side
Add ground beef into the space where you emptied it out earlier
Use spatula to cut meat into bite size and brown
Stir to combine cooked beef and rice together
Stir in Minced garlic, ginger powder and dark soy sauce
Stir in green peas
As soon as combining the green peas with the rice, they are warmed through. It takes about 1-2 minutes
Stir in egg white you saved earlier. Egg white MUST be mixed together with the fried rice until last.
Egg white as the last ingredient to go in is to keep it from picking up the dark soy sauce color. The goal is to keep these 2 contrasting colors in this dish
Add sesame oil and garnish with chopped scallion (optional) and enjoy
Macros for 4 Servings
Macros for 6 Servings
You May Also Be Interested In:
Return from Ground Beef Egg White Fried Rice Recipe page to Asian Recipes page
Return to Easy Dinner Ideas Homepage